Parlevliet & Van der Plas was founded in 1949 by Dirk Parlevliet and the brothers Dirk and Jan van der Plas. Buying herring at the Dutch fish auctions and trading same on the Dutch market were the main activities at that time. The small family company soon grew too big to serve only the Dutch market, so other markets, outside The Netherlands, became more and more important. During these years of expansion, the fishing company was founded. The first trawler of the fishing company, “Jan Maria”, came into service in 1959. Over the years Parlevliet & Van der Plas started fishing many other species of Pelagic fish. In 1967 Parlevliet & Van der Plas took their first freezer-trawler into service, “Annie Hillina”. As the whole fishing industry expanded during the eighties, so did Parlevliet & Van der Plas. After several locations, the company founded its headoffice in the municipality Valkenburg (ZH) in March 2002. This city is very close to Katwijk, where the company has its roots. Some historical highlights from the company’s history:
- 1986: Foundation of the 100% daughter subsidiary, Doggerbank Seefischerei GmbH, located in Bremerhaven, Germany
- 1998: Acquisition of the 100% daugther subsidiary, Mecklenburger Hochseefischerei GmbH (MHF), located in Rostock, Germany.
- 2003: Opening of Euro-Baltic Fisch Verarbeitungs GmbH in Rugen, Germany, one of the most modern fish processing centres in the world. Parlevliet & Van der Plas has, through the past decades, grown into an international enterprise with about 800 employees. The company emphasizes on high quality seafood, sustainability and business at the source. At this moment the company’s fishing fleet consists of twelve freezer-trawlers. The company owns and operates multiple cold stores, trading offices, factories and own transport. The company can now provide service at every point in the process from catch to delivery.
Parlevliet & Van der Plas B.V.
2235 SE Valkenburg (ZH )
[t] +31 71 789 00 00